Dental bonding is a popular cosmetic dentistry procedure, but many patients don’t know exactly what it is or how it can help them achieve a beautiful smile.
The dental bonding procedure uses a resin material that is sturdy and tooth-colored. It is applied to the teeth while soft, like putty, and then hardened or set with a special light. The material bonds with the tooth and can then be shaped and polished.
We will usually consider the option of bonding in the following cases:
- Teeth are decayed
- Teeth are chipped
- Cracked teeth need to be repaired
- Large spaces between teeth need to be filled with bonding material
- The roots need to be protected by bonding after gums recede
- Discoloured teeth can also be improved using the bonding process
- Bonding can make your teeth look longer or just have the general shape changed. Bonding is often used, along with teeth whitening as part of a total smile makeover.
Your smile can be one of your most valuable assets. The structure and appearance of your teeth, along with the lips, allows you to convey a range of emotions, and is a factor in how you get along in society.