It is not surprising that the average human being does not know more than to brush and floss his teeth. This mere fact can be forgiven because we are not taught much more than the general rules of teeth maintenance. Dentistry is a mystery to most, which is why we have dentists. But wouldn’t it be nice to know what dentists know? Perhaps then we can spot an issue before it becomes an overruling problem. Here are some facts your local dentist will know but you may not.
- The average South African spends 38.5 total days brushing their teeth over a lifetime.
- People who drink 3 or more glasses of fizzy drink each day have 62% more tooth decay, fillings and tooth loss than others. Now would be the time to put down your Coca-Cola and pick up some nice fresh water instead. There are 10-12 teaspoons of sugar in a single can of soda!
- Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body. However, we do not recommend that you use your pearly whites to open bottle caps as this may cause jaw misalignment.
- If you don’t floss, you miss cleaning 40% of your tooth surfaces. Make sure you brush and floss twice a day so as to get the most results.
- Like fingerprints, everyone’s tongue print is different, and like tongue prints, each of your teeth has a perfect print, too which is why one can be identified through dental records.
- The average person only brushes for 45 to 70 seconds a day, the recommended amount of time is 2-3 minutes.
- There are more than 300 types of bacteria that make up dental plaque.
If you would like to know more about the fascinating subject of teeth, you can contact a dentist in Cape Town, who will be more than happy to help you understand your teeth and how to keep them healthy.